Friday, September 7, 2012

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree

Here's a follow-up to my favorite birds of New Zealand post from earlier this year...

Favorite birds of Australia!

Sitting at my desk, trying to write an essay, and I definitely miss the almost constant song of the tui birds just outside my window during the day, and the morepork after sunset. However, there are a few fun birds that I hear outside my window here in Sydney! (Also, surprise! They have the morepork owl here, but they call it the Southern Boobook. I haven't heard it in Sydney)

I thought to write this post because there was JUST a kookaburra sitting outside my window laughing, but he flew away before I could take his picture.

Remember the old nursery rhyme?


They really do sound like they are laughing monkeys!



This is the Australian magpie, they are EVERYWHERE in Sydney, but at least they have a neat call


AND, another sound I hear often, but it was always at night. I first thought it was a parakeet or cockatoo, but why would I only hear it at night?! Then, I discovered the source of the call, the flying foxes. They are Australia's largest bats. Interesting fact; they eat only fruit, which makes their poo so acidic that sometimes if they drop it on your car, it will take the paint right off.  :)



PEACE.

1 comment:

  1. The bats...we seen them when we were there ,they are huge...

    ReplyDelete