Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Mid Semester Break - Australia

Well, the semester is half over already, only about 9 more weeks of uni and I'll be done....that's slightly terrifying.

Last week was our mid semester break and I stayed in Sydney for it because 1) Mom and I had already hit most of the top spots to see in Australia on our adventure, 2) I had an essay due the Monday after break that's worth 40% of my final mark, and 3) I had just bought my plane tickets to come home for Hannah and Jessie's wedding the week before, so that's going to be my vacation for the semester. :)

I didn't just sit in my room all week though! Here's what I've been up to.

Christelle went back to Mauritius the last week of August. :( She did the UNSW semester last year, and finished the degree in New Zealand, but came back to Sydney for 2 months for the graduation and she has family here. On her last weekend here we went out to Featherdale Wildlife Park, which Mom went to after I left for my field trip and she explored alone (so yes Mom, I saw the koala named Sheila) :)

It's a game, spot the owl.

David getting a little too close to the kookaburra's big beak than I was comfortable with.

Momoka and a wallaby.

We were trying to figure out how in the world that was comfy...sleeping with a stick in your bum, alright Sheila :)

Tasmanian Devil, which are actually kinda ugly
During the break I did the Coogee to Bondi Coastal walk (that Mom attempted to do while she was here, but ran out of sunlight). Coogee beach is about a 20 minute walk from my apartment, so we walked to Coogee, up to Bondi, relaxed on the beach for a few hours, then took the bus back. It was a gorgeous Spring day for a leisurely stroll.

See Ma, I did it. (The sand just to the right of my head is Bondi Beach)

Then, on Sunday I made my way back to Bondi Beach for the Festival of the Winds. I don't know how the festival started, but it was an excuse for everyone to fly kites, which made for a really neat day.

So many kites! They were so pretty

Someone even had a penguin kite, but I couldn't find the owner to steal it.
Watching the kites, decided to try and dig my way back to MN instead of paying for the flights; this is all the farther I could make it.
Watched these dancing kites for longer than I'll care to admit. They're so cool.

The break is over, but Australia's Spring is finally here. The same can't be said for New Zealand. My poor poor friends back in Wellington had to deal with 90 mph wind speeds over the weekend and snow today. As much as I love that city, I definitely don't miss the weather sometimes. My moped would NOT have liked that wind (and I wouldn't have liked the snow)!

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment